The development of numeracy skills for all our students is of paramount importance. Houghton Regis Academy’s curriculum is underpinned with developing students’ skills in numeracy. All teachers are teachers of numeracy. As such, the staff at the academy are committed to developing numeracy skills in all of our students, in the belief that it will support their learning, raise standards across the curriculum and prepare students for life after school.
Our intent is to:
- Promote students’ knowledge of and facility with numbers, including application, to cope with the cognitive demands of subjects
- Develop logical thinking through numeracy in order to solve a wide range of problems
- Improve numeracy in order to have an impact on students’ self esteem, motivation and behaviour, allowing them to learn independently
- Develop students’ confidence and ability to express themselves
- Support the staff team to implement effective numeracy development and wider achievement across the academy.
The Numeracy Strategy document is awaited: